Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Push your limits by making homebrew stuff....

Decades ago when I became a licensed operator, I discovered a wonderful thing about Ham Radio.  Specifically that amateur radio is possibly the most multi-disciplinarian pastime or hobby.  Every ham knows exactly what I am talking about, in that with our hobby, you can go in so many different directions that it is nearly impossible to do everything.

Let's start with the basics.  The main things with think of first are electronics, operating, antennas, digital modes...and so on.  However, like the hams of 80 or 100 years ago, we can also make all our own equipment.  This includes mechanical devices as well as soldering together a small transmitter.

So when it comes to homebrew, it makes sense for us to push ourselves to try new things to add to our stations.  Years ago, about 20 years perhaps, I purchased a small milling machine and a lathe.  I had no clue as to how to use them, but I knew that I wanted to be able to machine small parts.  Naturally this led to using my mill and lathe to make parts for my station.  Like many hams who invest in metal working equipment, I also wanted to machine Morse code keys and paddles.  So with some practice (and many failures), it was possible to begin making parts for non-ham friends, which gave me more confidence to try building keys.


My first decent iambic key that is currently in my truck

Of course, there are things that you just cannot do with small and simple mills and lathes, so I recently purchased a Begali Sculpture which really demonstrates the ART of fine metal work. 

The Begali Sculpture

The truth is that building a key like the Begali Sculpture is out of reach for nearly all hams. However, it is possible to create some really nice keys if you use your imagination and take the time to figure out what you are doing.  

My latest key project is my most ambitious yet, and I write this, not to just talk about my projects, but to encourage others to try to make new things in your own home shop.  Regardless of how elaborate your tools are, with a little energy and effort you can build some interesting things that work, such as antennas, baluns, center-conductors, project boxes, and lots of other things.

Below is a picture of a raw piece of brass that will eventually become (hopefully) a nice iambic paddle that is built with magnets and nice bearings as opposed to using springs.  The bearings and magnets were ordered from overseas, and the prices were fair and the shipping free.  It is very possible that in your country you will be able to find parts fairly easily.



Being that I don't have a full-size milling machine, so I am stuck with having to use a little creativity to figure out how to hold and work with a piece of brass larger than my Sherline mill is really designed for.  When it comes to keys, I learned something important from the Begali key.  The Begali key is HEAVY.  Heavy keys don't move around while you are sending dits and dahs.  So I got a large and heavy piece of brass.  This piece started out at 2.7 kilograms (that is just under 6 lbs).  The plan is to cut this down into a rectangle that will weigh in at about 4 or 5 pounds.  That is a big chunk of brass.  In my case I decided to cut grooves in the brass so that I could use hold-downs to secure the heavy brass work piece while I prepare the surface.  Necessity is the mother of invention, so sometimes you have to come up with solutions that will work with what you've got.

The point of this particular blog is not to suggest that you start making keys.  There are lots of projects out there to choose from.  During this low sunspot cycle when activity on the air can be a little off, still there is plenty to experiment with, and whether it is mechanical or some other experiment or construction project..just get out there and do it...especially if it pushes you to try something a little out of your comfort zone.  BY THE WAY, I would love to hear about something you have built or are planning to build.  Your clever ideas are very much appreciated, so feel free to comment about your projects or send me an email.  73, Mark 4x1ks


1 comment:

Joseph said...

Loving your creativity!