Monday, November 19, 2018

The ARRL position on political boycotts (or EP6RRC Iran on 40m)

This is a pretty controversial topic.  I will say that from the start.

Twice in the past couple of years I have written to the ARRL concerning what I think is a poor policy that the ARRL has towards political boycotts.

Let me explain.  As an operator from 4X, there are several countries that  will refuse to allow their operators to work me.  Just a few of them are EP (Iran), OD (Lebanon), S0 (Western Sahara)..to name a few.  There are others. The totalitarian governments of these countries prohibit their operators from making a QSO with 4X.

Recently, I heard S0 (the Islamic State of Western Sahara) calling CQ and working a pile up.   Since I was not aware of their position on boycotts, I naturally called (SSB) and received a reply from the operator (who was from the EU), that "I am not allowed to work you, sorry."

Typically, my callsign is completely ignored, but in the case of S0, the operator actually told me flat out that he was legally bound NOT to work me.

In my recent letter to the ARRL, I pointed out that in some dimension, the ARRL is actually complicit in the policy of political boycott using ham radio.  Specifically because the ARRL recognizes the boycotters with DXCC.  That means that if you are from S0 or EP, you can work whoever you want and get DXCC and even make it to the top of the honor roll at the same time that you refuse to work a 4X.

In my letter, I told the ARRL (of which I am a member), that this concept could apply to other DXCC countries as well, since any country that has a squabble with its neighbor can then make a law that if you operate with that country that you will lose your license.

Frankly, in my opinion, the ARRL can take a bold and moral position in challenging these countries who continue to boycott other DXCC entities. How exactly can the ARRL do that?

It's a fairly simple idea that is loaded with pitfalls.  Essentially, what I suggested to the ARRL is that if you are a ham from a country that boycotts another country, then you (the Ham from the country that does the boycotting) will be ineligible to receive DXCC from the ARRL.  This is a massively bold step for the ARRL to take, and on its face it seems unfair to the hams of these regime-states.  How is it unfair?  Because what did they ever do?  They just want to work DX like the rest of us...so why make them suffer?   I totally sympathize with that argument, but let's take a look at who these regimes are.

The truth is that a large number of the Hams in these countries actually are well-connected members of the elite in their societies.  As such, when you inform them that the ARRL will no longer recognize their DXCC status, this puts a tremendous amount of pressure on these regimes to change their policy.

It may take years to get the last dirty vestiges of discrimination out of amateur radio, but it is worth it if the end result will be that operators will ALWAYS be willing and able to work ANYONE else out there who happens to be looking to make a QSO.

My two letters to the ARRL have been responded to with polite emails saying "we will forward your comments to the appropriate committee...blah blah."   I don't think that my letters made it too far passed the shredder, however, injustices need to be addressed wherever they are, and ham radio should be politically inert.

Right now, as I write this, I am listening to EP6RRC on 7.025 listening up.  I have called many times, but got no response as expected.  Maybe someday they will listen and make a good QSO.

73  Mark 4x1ks

1 comment:

low loader said...

Thanks for sharing such insightful info