Thursday, November 15, 2018

You Drive Me Crazy!

Ham Radio is the BEST!, but maybe not the best thing to do when you are behind the wheel.  That is the subject of this blog.  Do you, or should you, talk on the radio when you are driving your magnificent 1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, blue with the white ragtop...


Sorry!  I was just having that fantasy again. OH...what a car!

Anyway, pardon my digression.  So, you have that mobile radio in your car or truck.  Do you talk on it or let it be?  Let's see what some folks say about this.  In 2009, the ARRL released an official position on the use of ham radio microphones while driving.  The ARRL definitely differentiated between texting on a cellphone and talking on a microphone, the latter being considered not a distraction.  However, they did add:

"...ARRL encourages licensees to conduct Amateur communications from motor vehicles in a manner that does not detract from the safe and attentive operation of a motor vehicle at all times."

Here is the link to the 2009 statement. 

https://www.arrl.org/files/file/MobileAmateurRadioPolicyStatement.pdf

I will tell you straight up front that I agree with that policy statement totally.   In 2014 the ARRL updated their policy.  You can see the policy statement here.

Ok, so now that we took the ARRL's position into account...

I do not have all of the 50 states' rules on using amateur radio while driving, but let's dig into this a little.

From the early days of getting my license, I was already installing radios into my car and truck.  My 1994 GMC Sierra had an Icom 706mkIIg and a screwdriver antenna.  I talked to a guy in Australia while heading east past Nashville on 40 probably between Cookville and Crossville.  It was great fun operating mobile and I was careful to keep my eyes on the road..especially with my daughter in the truck.  Since then I think I have never had a truck without a radio in it.

My understanding is that more and more states are getting very strict on mobile devices in vehicles.  They are actually giving out tickets.  Here's a link to some of the penalties $$ for cellphone use:

Some of the states like Connecticut will nail you for $500 on your 3rd offense.  Here in Israel...I admit it, in 1999, they got me.


The cost of that ticket?  700 shekels first offense which was about $200.  There was no amount of pleading ignorance and innocence as an immigrant that would help.  That cop?  She had No sense of humor whatsoever.

Now it is 2018, and it seems that the world over, talking while driving is a very bad thing.  I looked it up, and there are a lot of countries that have made it illegal.  The UK, France, Italy, and every province in Canada except for NUNAVUT.  Of course, I have no idea where NUNAVUT is, or what it is, but I may drive there sometime just so I can talk on my cellphone.

In any case, we hams like rules and we also don't like rules.  Talking on the radio?  It should be in the Constitution!  So when it comes to talking on the radio while driving, some of us will never give in.  Frankly, I think it should not be illegal for a ham to hold a microphone and talk while driving down the road.  The problem comes when you start tuning and looking at the display on your radio.  On top of that, if you are holding that mic, then the cop may just see you, and BAM, you got a ticket.


Homemade key in my 2005 Isuzu D-max

Well, CW has made life a lot easier, at least here in Israel with the newest rules on mobile devices.  The rule is that if you LOOK DOWN while driving; that is a ticketable offense.  That's right, if the cop sees you looking towards your lap, then that is a sign that you are on your phone.  However, if  your phone is in a cradle on the dashboard then that is okay.  It's the looking away from the road part that is the problem, or if you have something in your hand.  So shaving with an electric razor on the way to work is also technically illegal, along with eating a sandwich, munching on potato chips; you get the picture.

I operate CW regularly when I drive.  Don't tell anyone.  First, you can tell by the picture above that I mounted the key on the center console...well below dashboard level.  Secondly, I can operate CW while driving and no one will know, except the station in the EU that I am working.  Working CW keeps the mic out of my hand, and no one is the wiser, especially officer HADABADDAY, who is looking for ME to give a ticket to.  

If holding a mic is outlawed in your state, then you might consider CW with a sneaky key that is unseen.  It will also help you to practice copying CW in your head.

Have you operated your rig while mobile?  Feel free to comment.  Happy to hear about your ham radio mobile operations.

73

Mark 4x1ks





2 comments:

PE4BAS, Bas said...

Hello Mark, cell phone use in a car is illigal in the Netherlands as well. Though I see so many calling with the phone at their ears. Using it in a cradle with headset or carkit is not illigal though. And many use their phones as navigation as well. These days you can't imagine driving without your phone? On the subject of amateurradio. As far as I know it is not illigal here. Though I doubt it is wise to use one in the very busy traffic here sometimes. I seldom use a amateur radio in my car and if I do I only use it to contact one or two repeater on VHF/UHF to contact others. I can have HF in my car but don't use it while driving. Thanks for your post, it was interesting. 73, Bas

4x1ks ham radio said...

Thanks Bas for the comment. I do have the Icom 706 in my truck, so that gives me VHF/UHF. I have been known to talk to friends while driving. As far as HF, it is strictly CW where my right hand is busy on the key and my eyes are on the road. There have been a few bad accidents here with people using cellphones. Since then, if I want to use WAZE or talk to someone, I pull over to the side and do it legally...it's not worth the risk to mess with your phone when driving. 73 and all the best. Mark